Making ghee is something that’s been on my radar for a while but for some reason I never got around to actually making it. That is until my mother came to visit recently to help with the birth of my second child. It was so special to have her here and she showed me many things during her stay. She truly is an inspiration with how energetic and environmentally aware she is!
Ghee really is simple. I used just normal unsalted butter but organic is recommended.
- Place the butter a saucepan and allow it to melt and bubble. You will notice it will start to foam.
- The butter will foam for a while and then reduce to a small bubble again, it will almost seem to stop, before it builds up into a foam for the second time.
- When it foams this second time the ghee is done. This takes about 10-15 mins for 500g of butter.
- The ghee should be golden, like liquid gold:-)! Allow it to cool for several minutes before putting it through a cheese cloth into you desired jar/pot.
- What is left in your cheese cloth is the small bits of protein. It tastes really sweet and is meant to be great mixed with flour and honey…almost like a fudge.
Ghee is traditionally used in India and is great for people with a lot of Vata in them. Think of it as oiling the joints as well as good for skin:)
It goes a long way and is great for cooking, on vegetables and every way you would use butter really.
I just hope I keep the making of it up now. Something to bring into my routine😜 Why not give it a go too?